Dear 2BR Families,
We are up and rolling along toward a fantastic 2nd grade year! Thank you for reading all of the notes that have been coming home...and for a share bag (due next week), signature on May Watts Code of Learning form, and a note to familiarize me with your child. Through our getting-to-know-you activities we are becoming a close knit community of friends in 2BR. We have also had an opportunity to tour many areas of the school and learn about what good citizenship is all about... respecting self, respecting others and respecting the environment. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sending nutritious snacks to school with your child. We will be discussing health and nutrition as a part of the 2nd grade curriculum later this year so this is a great opportunity to get a jump start on choosing healthful foods.
Parent Orientation/Curriculum Night
On Wednesday, September 1, you are invited to visit your child's 2nd grade classroom. This informational night is designed for parents only to attend. During this session, I will provide you with district curriculum information as well as routines and procedures specific to 2BR. You may stop by room 202 from 6:30-7:00 p.m or 7:05-7:35 p.m.
While you are here...please sign up for your November conference time. We will also have sign-up sheets outside the 2nd grade classrooms for volunteer positions and/or classroom donations.
Citizenship
Respect YOE (Yourself, Others, Environment)
Your child may be talking about the “yellow tickets” he/she is earning. This is a school-wide positive reinforcement program to guide students toward good citizenship. This year the tickets earned may be redeemed for special privileges at the school store, classroom popcorn days, principal's club and other special incentives.
Math
IMPORTANT! Today, your child brought home his/her Every Day Math Reference Book. This book has been checked out to your child for the year. YOUR FAMILY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING TRACK OF THIS TEXT BOOK. All books need to be returned to the classroom in May. (I will send out a reminder). It will be the parent's responsibility to pay for any lost or damaged books at the end of the year. Meanwhile, please keep this book in a safe accessible spot at home. It is an excellent reference for the concepts and activities that we will visit throughout the year.
Please read the Everyday Math Family Letter that comes home at the beginning of each unit. It provides detailed information about what we are studying in mathematics. Also, the answers to the homework are included on this sheet. Please do not give these answers to your child, but rather use them as a tool to help guide your child.
Math homework will start the week of September 7th and continue throughout the entire year. Please encourage your child to turn in homework the VERY NEXT DAY. I will put reminders on each week’s blog so you know what is due each day.
I encourage you to check math homework each night. If your child has questions, or difficulty on a particular concept...just jot a note to me right on the homework page so I can follow up at school.
Scholastic Book Order
Each month I will be sending home book order forms for your perusal. If you choose to order books for your child, please fill out the order form on the back of the book selection pamphlet. I will write a “book order form due date” in the left margin of this blog so you will know when your order/check is due. Please make checks to: Scholastic Book Orders. Please do not send cash. I am very discreet about distributing books when they arrive in the classroom (I sneak them into backpacks while the children are at a special) so children who choose not to order, do not feel left out. Also, if you would like to place a gift order, just let me know and I’ll put your order in the office for you to pick up.